mooshoe

August 23, 2003

teen films

Teen films are fun. Unlike real high school, there's at least a 67% chance of coming out relatively unscathed. They can be hit or miss. Usually miss. The following, in my very humble opinion, are a few noteworthy films that warrant a trip to your local video store: Election, where Reese plays an obnoxiously cute, grade-A Type-A. Bend It Like Beckham, because it made me want to kick some balls around. Hard. Edge of Seventeen, because it was gutsy and un-sentimentally sweet. OT: Our Town, an admirable documentary which gave the teens of Compton their dues.

[I should probably mention the more obvious ones, Dazed and Confused, Donnie Darko, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Not Another Teen Movie (take what you want from that one). If I'm missing an obvious one, plop in a comment. I'd hate to be remiss.]

I'm looking forward to Thirteen, which just barely crosses the teen threshold. It marks the debut of 15-year-old actor and co-writer (!) Nikki Reed, and stars Another Very Young Actress, Evan Rachel Wood, and Jeremy Sisto, who played a slimy wanker in Clueless, a slimy wanker in HBO's Six Feet Under, and will likely play some slimy wanker in this film. These 7th grade girls look a lot more fierce than I ever did in all of my high school years. [As I recall, I was still playing with Barbies until the 5th grade.] Wes Anderson fans will recognize the film's soundtrack guy, Mark Mothersbaugh.

Now to regress back even further past high school: elementary school, specifically 4th grade. Dazed and Confused's director Richard Linklater's latest film, The School of Rock, will be released in early October. The poster had me worried about Jack Black's career. Then I saw the trailer. It's cute. Alongside Jack Black (who all of you T-D fans know and love), is the droll yet endearing actor and writer Mike White (of The Good Girl and the very creepy Chuck & Buck). With the combination of Linklater, Black and (hm) White, my better half will be happy to know that I am indeed looking forward to it.

[Seeing Mark Mothersbaugh's name, I decided to check what Wes Anderson was up to these days. Some of you Wes fans may already know that he's in pre-production for his fourth film, Life Aquatic. The cuddly Bill Murray and exquisite Angelica Houston have been casted. For the first time, he won't be sharing writing credits with Owen Wilson. Instead, he's teaming up with Noah Baumbach, writer of the wry Kicking and Screaming with a small role by Parker Posey in her indie-heyday, post-Party Girl and pre-You've Got Mail. I really miss those spank-n-smile roles. Sadly, her latest film pairs her with Chris Kattan in a romantic comedy, albeit set in NYC.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home